Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

psu change

=/L0K=> Flookster
    =/L0K=> Flookster
    Original King
    Original King

psu change Empty psu change

Post  =/L0K=> Flookster Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Ok, tried to install the new Gainward 570 Phantom gfx card and all I got was beeping. Alienware say that all of their power supplies shipped with i7 come with 875watt psu - but I think I've got a bloody 525watt psu installed. So obviously I'll now have to get a new psu.

I'm not sure what will fit... This is my current psu - i think - http://www.stuart-connections.com/servlet/the-8749/Dell-Precision-T3500-%26/Detail

I've read in some forums that "Dell (aka Alienware) likes to add in proprietary cable connectors on some of their stuff to force you to buy replacement parts from them." (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/275719-10-upgrade-alienware) so I'm not sure if i can buy a regular psu?

Also, I'm worried about a new psu fitting into the tight space where the current psu is situated.

Help appreciated!
    =/L0K=> Flookster
    =/L0K=> Flookster
    Original King
    Original King

psu change Empty Re: psu change

Post  =/L0K=> Flookster Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:44 pm

The minimum specs for the Graphics card is 550 watt with one 6-pin and one 8-pin pci power connectors. When i connected the graphics card I think i connected two 6-pins to a 8 pin adapter which plugged into the component itself. I don't think I used the 6-pin input was occupied. Could that be a problem?
    =/L0K=> bunnsnow
    =/L0K=> bunnsnow
    Original King
    Original King

psu change Empty yo

Post  =/L0K=> bunnsnow Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Hello mate. Best thing to do is check what connectors you are currently using. I would be surprised if Dell have made connections specific to their own machines. I suspect you have the usual:

1. Motherboard P1 connector - 20 or 24 pin configuration.
    psu change 350px-ATX_PS_ATX_connector

2. Motherboard ATX12V power connector - A second connector (4 or 8 pin) that goes to the motherboard (in addition to the main 20/24-pin connector) to supply dedicated power for the processor. For real high-end motherboards and processors, more power is required, therefore EPS12V has an 8 pin connector.

3. Optical and Disk drive connectors - Either Molex 8981 or Sata.
    psu change 250px-Molex_female_connector psu change Sata

4. PCI Express Connector/s - Either 6 or 8 pin connector/s. Generally used for PCI Express graphics cards. You might have 2 of these.
    psu change Pcie6plus2

Find out what connections you have/need for your system and list them here.

Next thing to do is rip out the old PSU. There should be a label on it somewhere showing the power output. List it here along with the dimensions LxWxH and I'll help you out.

=/L0K=> bunnsnow
    =/L0K=> bunnsnow
    Original King
    Original King

psu change Empty yes

Post  =/L0K=> bunnsnow Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Absolutely mate. If it has 1x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin then thats what you need to connect.

Each PCI Express 6-pin connector can output a maximum of 75 W.
    Each PCI Express 8-pin connector can output a maximum of 150 W.

It could be that the 8 pin connection requires more than 75w.

ALSO, if your PSU is 525w and the min required is 550w that could also cause an issue. BUT, not necessarily. I'd certainly meet the min requirements though.

Sponsored content

psu change Empty Re: psu change

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:21 am